A minimum high school education with an emphasis on industrial trades.
Experience assembling gearboxes is preferred; however, the right individuals will be trained.
The job requires strength, endurance and stamina to repair gearboxes. The employee must have good coordination when using hand tools, assembly tools and the hoist.
To inspect, modify, disassemble and re-assemble SEW gearboxes, and to assemble new units, ensuring meeting SEW’s quality, and completeness of jobs within deadlines requested. This position is schedule for afternoon shift, 3.00pm -11.30pm.
- Clean, inspect and disassemble as required gear motors arriving to Service Department for various reasons
- Fill out appropriate job documentations (e.g. initial observation report, disassembly report, test run report, etc.)
- Properly store disassembled parts
- Assemble gearboxes, and gear motors including picking the required items for assembly and/or performing recommended modifications to the gearboxes
- Capable of setting up bearing clearance, backlash, and tooth contact pattern. As well as bevel gear assembly
- Assemble new units as required by Service or Assembly Department Loads
- Perform test run of the assembled gearboxes
- Paint gearboxes
- Packed gear motors for shipping, and arrange shipping to customers as required
- Maintain a clean and safe working area
- Ensure that all tooling and parts required/used for repair are properly maintained and placed within designated area(s)
- Field service will be required. Duties will include dealing with customers directly, and travelling to customer’s facilities across Canada (sometimes on short notice).Duties include keeping good records and reports of work performed onsite or recommendations to be done. Duties will also include, start-up and onsite service (commissioning, remove and installation of gear units, alignment, disassembly and assembly of gear units, vibration analysis, failure analysis endoscope, and thermo-analysis)
The Service Technician will require the following skills:
- Able to read blueprints and assembly drawings
- Properly utilize computers to create and enter reports in the system, check stock, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent communication skills
- A valid driver’s license
- A good driver’s record
- Product knowledge – Mechanical / Electrical
- Able to work independently in a variety of circumstances
- Able to have a flexible (outside regular hours) work schedule, and to travel when required
- Capable of safely utilizing tow motor, hydraulic press, hoist, bearing heater, oven, and heating torch
- Available to attend training in worldwide locations
- Currently have, or willing to obtain the following training: First aid, lock-out safety, WHMIS, forklift, skyjack, customer specific safety training, as well as commissioning, removing and installation of gear units, alignment, disassembly and assembly of gear units, vibration analysis, failure analysis endoscope, and thermo-analysis
- Depends on the work load and company needs, occasionally the technician might be required to work/assist in other areas of the plant
RESONSIBILITY FOR MATERIAL RESOURCES
The technician is responsible for diagnosing the cause of malfunctioning units for customers. While some products are under warranty, the incumbent is responsible to correctly determine the source of the problem, and to take necessary actions to solve it.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR INFORMATION
This position routinely reads technical manuals and writes repair reports. The technician checks work orders for accuracy and compare them with units to be repaired, as well as retrieving inventory information from the computer.
December 31, 2018